Free Course in Sustainable Consumption and Production
How do we move towards more sustainable business and consumer choices? In what could well be the world’s biggest environmental education initiative the UNDP is launching a massive open online course (MOOC) on the subject of Greening Consumption and Production from Wednesday 31 May to Wednesday 12 July 2017.
Learn more during the free, tri-lingual facilitated, 6-week open online course on greening consumption & production – Register now by clicking the image below and following the instructions on the NBSAP webpage.
Click here to access the registration page for UNDP Greening Consumption and Production Massive Open Online Course
|Registration is open!
In the past 20 years, humanity added 1.6 billion people to the planet, while losing 20% of the world’s wilderness, and exploiting 90% of the world’s fisheries. The Aichi Biodiversity Targets and UN Sustainable Development Goals help shape a global policy agenda that strives to conserve the world’s ecosystems while meeting development priorities. How do we develop national policies and approaches that keep the global impacts of natural resources use within safe ecological limits?
This six-week facilitated course, from Wed. 31 May to Wed. 12 July 2017, will provide you with the answers to this question. It is aimed at policymakers and practitioners working in the area of sustainable consumption and production (SCP). By taking this course, you will gain an overview of key issues related to SCP and sustainable commodity supply chains. You will become proficient in mechanisms to facilitate SCP at the international level and in your own country, and have the chance to interact with world-known specialists from UNDP, the private sector, NGOs and national ministries. We will also encourage you to think critically about your resource use patterns in the context of international, national, and local SCP approaches to greening consumption and production.
The course will cover the following topics:
- Week 1: What is green consumption and production?
- Week 2: Key concepts and principles
- Week 3: International policy framework
- Week 4: Greening key production sectors
- Week 5: Sustainable commodity supply chains
- Week 6: Mainstreaming biodiversity into development planning
A certificate of completion will be provided by UNDP, the Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) and The Nature Conservancy. The course is available in English, Spanish and French.
Follow the steps below to register today.
|Step 1: Create an Account on the Conservation Training Website
The course is hosted on The Nature Conservancy’s Conservation Training website. Before you can register for the course, you must create a Conservation Training account. If you already have an account, please log in. If you have forgotten your username or password, click here.
Step 2: Enroll in the Greening Consumption & Production Course
Once you are logged in to ConservationTraining.org, you can enroll. This simple process does not require an access key. Here are the steps:
- Navigate to the Curriculums menu. Find the NBSAP Curriculum and click it. Alternatively, click here.
- This action will take you to the NBSAP learning page, which offers five different e-learning modules. Your course – Greening Consumption & Production – is the first listing. Click on the course name or access it here.
- This action will prompt you to “confirm enrollment”. Click “Yes” and you will be taken to the course homepage. You now have full access to the course! All course materials will become available on Wed., 24 May. Until then, there is basic information about the course and schedule available in the course room.
- Once you are registered, log in to the website to access the courseroom.
Step 3: Register for the Webinar Sessions
Each Wed., from 31 May to 5 July, we will enrich your learning experience by offering webinars in English, French and Spanish. The webinar format (live or prerecorded) may vary due to speaker availability. Information on each week’s webinar will be posted on the “latest news” page in the courseroom and sent by email. We will use the Go-To-Webinar platform to host the webinars. Therefore, you need to separately enroll in the webinar series.
Here are the steps:
- Click the link of the webinar series you are interested in attending (no limit):
- French – 8:00 am – 9:30 am EDT/NY
- English – 9:45 am – 11:15 am EDT/NY
- Spanish – 11:30 am – 1:00 pm EDT/NY
- You will be redirected to a registration page and prompted to enter your first name, last name and email.
- Go-To-Webinar will send you a personalized link to access the classroom. You must retain this code and use it each week to access the webinar.
- Each Wednesday, follow the link to access the webinar. Two hours before each webinar, you will also receive an email reminding you of this information.
If you can’t make a webinar, don’t worry! We will post it in the course room – under that week’s ‘activities’ – by 5:00pm EDT/NY the day it is hosted.
Mark your calendar! The first webinar is on Wednesday 31 May, 2017!
Step 4: Join the NBSAP Forum
The NBSAP Forum is an online community of practice that supports conservation planning practitioners to develop and implement effective National Biodiversity Strategies and Action Plans (NBSAPs). UNDP, the Secretariat of Convention on Biological Diversity, and the UN Environment Programme host the Forum. The NBSAP Forum has a page dedicated to Aichi Biodiversity Target Four: SCP, where we will post webinar recordings, course resource and weekly course summaries. You are also encouraged to share your assignments and join discussions on the Forum. Find updates about the course here.
Steps to Join:
- Access the NBSAP Forum.
- Create a member profile. Add your first and last name, email address and protect your profile with a password.
- After logging into your profile, click on your name in the upper right portion of the screen. This step takes you to your “Member Profile” page. Once there, upload a brief bio, headshot and information on your countries/regions of focus, languages and expertise. For multiple option selection, press the Control (Ctrl) button on your keyboard and select all applicable options. See this member profile sample.
- Make sure to visit our SCP page and click “follow this community” to receive updates. We will also post course updates on this here.
|We look forward to your participation!
Greening Consumption & Production will begin on
Wednesday, 31 May
Until then, follow us in social media for updates:
|Copyright © 2017 United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), All rights reserved.